In search of the very best nations to go to in Africa? Let me assist!
Africa is a large and numerous continent, so deciding the place to go may be tough and other people typically ask me that are my favorite nations in Africa to go to.
“I solely have a short while,” they are saying. “The place would you go should you had to decide on?”
Properly, that is very subjective and I haven’t been in all places in Africa, however from the nations I’ve been to (I haven’t been to Ethiopia or Ghana but – I’m going to each in 2024 – and I’m fairly certain I’ll love these), these could be my finest nations to go to in Africa (they’re in alphabetical order – I couldn’t select, oh, and there’s 11, not 10, as a result of 10 is catchier than 11😉)….
Please Word: A number of the hyperlinks on this publish are affiliate hyperlinks, which can earn me a small fee at no additional price to you. Affiliate gross sales assist with the working prices of this website, so thanks on your assist!
The Greatest African International locations to Go to
Africa – Greatest International locations to Go to in East Africa
Kenya is without doubt one of the finest African nations to go to as a result of it has slightly little bit of every part – nice safaris, thrilling cities, and delightful seashores. It’s typically known as Africa for inexperienced persons because the vacationer path is well-trodden in Kenya.
It has loads of nationwide parks, together with the legendary Masai Mara which is house to the ‘Huge 5’ safari animals (elephant, lion, leopard, Cape buffalo and black rhino) and the annual wildebeest migration, and Samburu Nationwide Reserve which is house to the ‘Particular 5’.
There are additionally loads of different nationwide parks to go to and when you’re achieved, you’ll be able to loosen up on the gorgeous seashores of the Swahili Coast or on the island of Lamu.
See my full Kenya journey information right here.
My High 10 Kenya Highlights
- Occurring safari in Masai Mara Nationwide Reserve and seeing the wildebeest migration.
- Seeing the elephants in Amboseli Nationwide Park (with lovely views of Mount Kilimanjaro).
- Occurring safari in Tsavo Nationwide Park which is legendary for big numbers of elephants.
- Exploring Nairobi Metropolis and Nairobi Nationwide Park.
- Visiting Lake Turkana and experiencing the Lake Turkana Pageant.
- Visiting the Maasai or Samburu tribe.
- Exploring historic Mombasa and the Swahili coast (Malindi, Diani, Kilifi & Watamu).
- Residing the ‘hakuna matata’ life on Lamu island.
- Assembly the rhinos on the Ol Pejeta Conservancy.
- Climbing Mount Kenya, the 2nd highest mountain in Africa.
What can I say about Tanzania? It’s the African all-rounder actually, which is what makes it the most effective African nations to go to! With a mixture of modernity, historical past and slightly little bit of Swahili magic. Tanzania was listed in CNN’s finest locations to go to in 2023.
Tanzania is the Africa of your goals and even with months to discover, you’ll by no means get tired of this huge, lovely and culturally numerous nation – I by no means have!
It’s house to a few of the finest safari locations on the planet, together with the Serengeti and the Ngorongoro Crater, in addition to Africa’s highest mountain, Mount Kilimanjaro.
The seashores are lovely and you’ll love the colourful Swahili coast, together with the historic and interesting islands of the Zanzibar Archipelago.
See my full Tanzania journey information right here.
My High 10 Tanzania Highlights
- Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro or close by Mount Meru.
- Occurring a Northern Circuit safari (Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara, Tarangire).
- Occurring a Southern Circuit safari (Selous, Mikumi, Udzungwa Mountains and Ruaha).
- Taking the Tazara Practice from Tanzania to Zambia (or vice versa).
- Visiting a tribe such because the Maasai or the Hadzabe.
- Mountaineering by the Usambara Mountains.
- Visiting the historic city of Bagamoyo.
- Exploring the Zanzibar Archipelago (Unguja, Pemba & Mafia Island).
- Seeing the Chimps in Mahale Mountains Nationwide Park.
- Visiting the cities of Moshi and Arusha.
Winston Churchill described Uganda as “the Pearl of Africa”, so if Churchill thought Uganda was the most effective nations in Africa to go to, then that’s adequate for me. And CNN additionally added Uganda to it’s ‘should go to’ checklist for 2023.
I cherished Uganda from the second I crossed over the border from Kenya and it truly is a particular place. There are such a lot of nice issues to do in Uganda and I fall slightly bit extra in love with the nation each time I’m going.
Uganda is legendary for its pleasant individuals, lush inexperienced surroundings, unimaginable nationwide parks and is without doubt one of the finest and solely locations on the earth to go each chimpanzee and gorilla trekking.
It’s additionally house to the River Nile, Lake Victoria, Murchison Falls Nationwide Park, Mount Elgon and the Rwenzori Mountains, so if journey journey is your factor, you’ll positively discover what you’re in search of in Uganda.
See my full Uganda journey information right here.
My High 10 Uganda Highlights
- Gorilla trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.
- Getting adventurous on the River Nile in Jinja and Bujagali.
- Seeing the white rhinos on the Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary.
- Climbing Uganda’s 4th highest mountain, Mount Elgon.
- Occurring safari in Murchison Falls Nationwide Park.
- Experiencing the colourful Kampala nightlife.
- Exploring the Crater Lakes area.
- Chimpanzee trekking in Kibale Forest Nationwide Park or Budongo Central Forest Reserve.
- Experiencing life within the Ssese Islands on Lake Victoria.
- Mountaineering the Rwenzori Mountains, also referred to as the ‘Mountains of the Moon’.
Africa – Greatest International locations to Go to in Southern Africa
There’s nothing fairly like a Botswana safari. In truth, The Telegraph even named it ‘the BEST safari in Africa’, and I’d 100% agree.
You get wonderful safaris in nations like Kenya and Tanzania too, however there’s one thing actually particular about safaris in Botswana, they’re non-short of magical. Possibly it’s one thing to do with the sunshine? Or the sheer wildness of all of it?
With little or no growth within the nation, it actually is an excellent place to get away from all of it and expertise one of many final true wilderness locations left on the planet. However there are additionally a number of issues to do in Botswana that aren’t simply safaris.
One draw back to Botswana, is that it may be costly, however it is usually attainable to journey Botswana on a finances, if you know the way (I will help you there).
Botswana is house to one of many largest elephant populations on the earth, and an incredible place to identify leopards, so if safari is your factor, that is the place to be.
See my full Botswana journey information right here.
My High 10 Botswana Highlights
- Occurring safari in Chobe Nationwide Park (each Savuti and Chobe Riverfront areas).
- Taking a standard mokoro (canoe) trip by the Okavango Delta.
- Seeing the Okavango Delta from the air on a scenic flight.
- Spending time with the meerkats of the Makgadikgadi Pan.
- Seeing the annual Zebra migration.
- Spending time with the San Bushmen of the Kalahari.
- Occurring safari within the Khwai Concession.
- Occurring safari in Moremi Sport Reserve.
- Going off the overwhelmed path within the Central Kalahari Sport Reserve.
- Visiting the traditional rock work of the sacred Tsodilo Hills.
It is a new addition, as I solely visited Madagascar for the primary time in November 2022. However it rapidly made its method into my high 10 (okay, 11) favorite nations in Africa!
Madagascar is completely different to wherever else I’ve ever been. A combination between Southeast Asia and Africa, with many alternative subcultures and tribes, every with its personal distinctive customs, traditions and fady (superstitions and taboos).
Madagascar doesn’t have any conventional safaris, as you’ve got on the mainland, however does have loads of wildlife together with lemurs, fossas, reptiles and marine life (humpback whales, whale sharks). It additionally has lovely seashores, wonderful meals, fantastic surroundings and pleasant individuals.
Travelling in Madagascar may be tough at instances, but it surely’s such an journey. It’s essential go earlier than everybody else realises how wonderful it’s!
See my full Madagascar journey information right here.
My High 10 Madagascar Highlights
- Seeing the ring-tailed lemurs in Anja Group Reserve.
- Photographing the Avenue of the Baobabs at dawn or sundown.
- Exploring Tsingy de Bemaraha Nationwide Park.
- Listening to the indris name in Andasibe-Mantadia Nationwide Park.
- Canoeing and mountain climbing by Ranomafana Nationwide Park.
- Swimming with whale sharks in Nosy Be.
- Seeing humpback whales in Ifaty or Nosy Boraha (Île Sainte-Marie).
- Mountaineering by Isalo Nationwide Park.
- Enjoyable on the attractive seashore of Anakao.
- Getting up shut with lemurs at Lemur Island.
Malawi is an unimaginable nation, typically neglected in comparison with its extra well-known neighbours. However I’d go so far as to say that Malawi is probably my favorite place in Africa to go correct backpacking, because it’s straightforward sufficient to get round by public transport, very secure and never overly saturated with vacationers.
I had one in all my favorite ever (‘Kind 2 Enjoyable’) journey experiences while taking the Ilala Ferry in Malawi.
This landlocked nation is named the ‘Heat Coronary heart of Africa’ as a result of friendliness of the native individuals and it tends to be a spot that you simply by no means wish to depart.
The individuals are fantastic, the vibe is relaxed and the backpacker hostels are all superior, so it’s not unusual for somebody to go to a spot for just a few days and find yourself leaving a month later.
See my full Malawi journey information right here.
My High 10 Malawi Highlights
- Chilling out at Cape Maclear.
- Partying on the Lake of Stars pageant.
- Occurring safari in Liwonde Nationwide Park.
- Mountaineering the Zomba Massif.
- Climbing formidable Mount Mulanje.
- Occurring safari in Majete Wildlife Reserve.
- Mountain biking in Nyika Nationwide Park.
- Staying at The Mushroom Farm in Livingstonia.
- Hanging out in enjoyable Nkhata Bay.
- Taking the Ilala ferry alongside Lake Malawi.
Mozambique is an unimaginable nation, on the east coast of Southern Africa.
Travelling Mozambique isn’t at all times straightforward, because it’s so much much less developed than most of its neighbours and there are some locations you want to keep away from (the far north coast, close to the Tanzanian border), however it’s rewarding and at all times an journey.
The seashores are a few of the finest you’ll discover in all of Africa, from the attractive sandbanks of the Bazaruto Archipelago all the best way right down to Ponta do Ouro within the south.
There’s wonderful snorkelling and diving all alongside the coast and the city of Tofo is without doubt one of the finest locations on the earth to go swimming with whale sharks too.
My High 10 Mozambique Highlights
- Swimming with whale sharks in Tofo.
- Exploring cosmopolitan Maputo.
- Visiting Inhaca Island.
- Scuba diving the Bazaruto Archipelago.
- Taking a dhow journey from Vilanculos.
- Going island hopping across the Quirimbas Islands.
- Visiting Quirimbas Nationwide Park.
- Occurring safari within the Niassa Reserve.
- Exploring the Ilha de Moçambique.
- Enjoyable on the seashores of Xai-Xai.
Namibia is without doubt one of the most original, fascinating and huge nations in all of Africa and with a inhabitants of solely 2.5 million individuals, it’s one of the sparsely populated nations on earth (due to this fact one of many most secure nations in Africa too).
With its other-worldly look, Namibia is a photographer’s dream, with mysterious coastlines, colossal sand dunes, huge deserts, unimaginable wildlife and ethereal starry skies – there are such a lot of distinctive locations to see and issues to do in Nambia.
It’s fairly abandoned in some methods and an incredible place to get away from the stresses of recent life, however with out being too out of your consolation zone, because it’s additionally very trendy in different methods.
Public transport gained’t take you to all of the locations you would possibly wish to go, so it’s an incredible place for a highway journey or taking a bunch tour.
See my full Namibia journey information right here.
My High 10 Namibia Highlights
- Occurring safari in Etosha Nationwide Park.
- Exploring the Namib Desert at Sossusvlei and Deadvlei.
- Spending time with the San Bushmen within the Kalahari Desert.
- Taking a tour of Sandwich Harbour.
- Spending time with the Himba tribe.
- Exploring the shipwrecks of the Skeleton Coast.
- Mountaineering the Waterberg Plateau.
- Getting adventurous in Swakopmund.
- Seeing the desert-adapted elephants of Damaraland.
- Marvelling at majestic Spitzkoppe.
South Africa might be probably the most visited nation in Solar-Saharan Africa, and for good cause. South Africa has all of it! From the cosmopolitan cities to the unimaginable nationwide parks, to the gorgeous seashores and every part in between – South Africa is a good place to go to, it doesn’t matter what your pursuits.
Cape City is one in all my favorite cities on the earth because it’s so lovely, and energetic. There are such a lot of cool and free issues to do in Cape City and I like road-tripping the Backyard Route. Johannesburg is fairly superior too!
The nation was nicknamed ‘The Rainbow Nation’ in 1994 after the apartheid period ended to explain the unity of the varied racial, ethnic and cultural teams within the nation.
See my full South Africa journey information right here.
My High 10 South Africa Highlights
- Exploring thrilling Cape City.
- Mountaineering (or taking the cable automotive) up Desk Mountain.
- Street tripping the Backyard Route.
- Occurring safari in Kruger Nationwide Park.
- Seeing the ‘Huge 7’ in Addo Elephant Nationwide Park.
- Seeing the unimaginable Blyde River Canyon.
- Exploring the untamed Wild Coast.
- Mountaineering within the Drakensburg Mountains.
- Occurring safari in Pilanesburg Nationwide Park.
- Exploring hipster Johannesburg.
I completely love Zambia which is why I’m nominating it as the most effective locations to go to in Zambia.
Zambia must be one of many friendliest and most secure nations in Africa and with English being spoken by just about everybody, it’s a very simple place to journey.
Many individuals journey to Zambia as a result of it’s the house to Victoria Falls and all the superior actions you are able to do there, however fall in love with it on account of all the opposite wonderful issues this nation has to supply.
While it’s not as well-known as a few of the different safari locations in Africa, South Luangwa Nationwide Park is an unimaginable place. It’s my private favorite nationwide park in Africa and is nice for unbiased travellers as a result of ease of getting there.
See my full Zambia journey information right here.
My High 10 Zambia Highlights
- Visiting Livingstone & Victoria Falls.
- Swimming within the Satan’s or Angel’s Pool.
- Occurring safari in South Luangwa Nationwide Park.
- Exploring the capital metropolis, Lusaka.
- In search of wildlife in Kafue Nationwide Park.
- Being out in nature in Decrease Zambezi Nationwide Park.
- Hiring a houseboat on Lake Kariba.
- Visiting the Copperbelt in Northern Zambia.
- Occurring safari in Mosi-oa-Tunya Nationwide Park.
- Canoeing alongside the Zambezi River.
Africa – Greatest International locations to Go to in West Africa
Sierra Leone, recognized regionally as ‘Candy Salone’, is an incredible, pleasant and vibrant nation, with so much to do and see. Plus, it’s one of many solely English-speaking nations in West Africa.
It’s not an ‘straightforward’ nation to journey in as a result of there isn’t a variety of tourism infrastructure in place and it’s very a lot off the overwhelmed observe, however for my part, that’s additionally one of many largest causes for going there.
Trendy Salone is a far cry from its troubled previous and you could be stunned to listen to that it’s additionally one of many most secure nations to go to (the fiftieth most secure nation on the earth).
Sierra Leone is a vibe, which is why it makes it onto my high 11 finest nations to go to in Africa and is someplace everybody ought to go earlier than the remainder of the world realise how nice it’s.
My High 10 Sierra Leone Highlights
- Crusing throughout to the distant Turtle Islands.
- Exploring vibrant Freetown.
- Studying the historical past of the transatlantic slave commerce on Bunce Island.
- Visiting the Gola Rainforest.
- In search of pygmy hippos on Tiwai Island.
- Experiencing native life on the Rogbonko Village Retreat.
- Seeing the rescued primates on the Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary.
- Chilling out on the seashores of the Freetown Peninsula.
- Visiting Outamba-Kilimi Nationwide Park.
- Climbing Mount Bintumani, Sierra Leone’s highest peak.
That are your finest nations to go to in Africa? Any favorite locations or issues to do?
Pin This Publish For Later