Planning a getaway to the colourful Margaret River area? This nook of Western Australia isn’t just a haven for wine lovers however a playground for adventurers and nature lovers. Sharing my native ideas and views, I’ve crafted this final information to the highest issues to do in Margaret River.
Uncover 35 distinctive experiences that promise a mix of journey and rest, all whereas showcasing the wealthy variety this outstanding area has to supply.
This weblog publish was printed in January 2022, and final up to date in September 2023.
Disclaimer: This publish could comprise affiliate hyperlinks. At no additional value to you, I obtain a small fee on purchases made by means of these hyperlinks. By doing so, you’re supporting this weblog and serving to me to proceed offering you with free high-quality journey guides. Thanks!
About this Margaret River Sights Information
There aren’t any scarcity of thrilling issues to do within the Margaret River Area, nevertheless a automotive is required to get round to most of them. The area is sort of giant, and public transport may be very restricted as are taxis.
High Issues to Do Margaret River
Sugarloaf Rock attracts in guests with its uncommon form and gorgeous surrounds. Positioned within the picturesque Cape Naturaliste space, this pure marvel is a haven for explorers and nature lovers alike.
Go to through the day to discover the rockpools and rocky surrounds. Come nightfall, Sugarloaf Rock is without doubt one of the hottest sundown spots within the area. Both manner, Sugarloaf Rock is a photographers dream at any time of the day.
Meelup Regional Park
One other outstanding pure attraction within the Margaret River Area is Meelup Regional Park.
Meelup Seaside is a pleasant swimming spot common with households. There are some common swimming spots alongside right here. Identified for its calm waters, services embrace BBQ spots, bogs, and gear rent for water sports activities together with stand-up paddle boards.
Fort Rock is one other should see attraction in Meelup Regional Park. This quieter various is characterised by crystal clear waters and the bizarre formed rock that grants the seashore its identify.
There’s a coastal path connecting Meelup Seaside and Fort Rock, which is a part of the longer 7km Meelup Reserve Path. This path gives scenic views of the small coves and bays in between Eagle Bay and Outdated Dunsborough. Hold your eyes open for the native quenda bandicoot that frequent this space!
Take pleasure in High quality Wines
As a premier wine area globally famend for its wealthy number of wines, Margaret River is a paradise for wine lovers. With over 90 cellar doorways within the area, every guarantees a novel expertise with an array of wines varietals. Lots of the wineries embrace restaurant choices.
Plan your individual self-guided go to, or improve your wine-tasting journey by reserving a guided tour. This enables the entire group to sip and style to your coronary heart’s content material whereas avoiding the hassles of arranging a delegated driver.
- Margies Massive Day Out Beer & Wine Excursions: go on a gastronomic journey on this full-day tour with a food-loving information. Go to three wineries, two breweries and pattern goodies and cheese. Consists of pickup and drop-off from lodging round Margaret River.
- Margaret River Wine Journey: One for the wine lovers and aficionados. This small-group tour begins with a go to to three award-winning boutique wineries, earlier than getting hands-on in an unique Wine Mixing expertise. Create your individual wine to take pleasure in with lunch! The day ends with a go to to an area brewery and the chocolate manufacturing facility. Decide up out there from Margaret River, or from Dunsborough/Busselton
Among the oldest estates and large names within the area embrace Voyager Property, Vasse Felix and Leeuwin Property. These are price a go to, however I additionally like to assist the smaller and household run wineries within the area.
Beneficial wineries within the Margaret River area to go to embrace;
- Prestigious wineries: Voyager Property, Vasse Felix, Leeuwin Property
- Natural and biodynamic wineries: Cullen Wines, Stormflower Winery, Blind Nook
- Wineries with Eating places: Swings & Roundabouts, Aravina Property, Hay Shed Hill, Xanadu Wines, Will’s Area
- A few of my private favourites: Windance Property, Pierro, Si Vintners
Australia has many unimaginable wine areas – one other favorite is the Barossa Valley in South Australia. Learn all it is advisable to learn about exploring this famend wine area.
Fly Via the Forest on a Zipline Journey
Nestled within the forest close to Busselton awaits an exhilarating journey. A visit to Forest Adventures may have you tackling their excessive ropes programs and swooping by means of the forest cover.
With programs starting from newbie to superior ranges, everybody from novices to seasoned thrill-seekers will discover their match. There are some distinctive obstacles on the course… like driving a bicycle over a picket platform suspended between two bushes!
Take a look at costs and out there time slots right here!
I had a lot enjoyable tackling this journey, you possibly can watch a brief video from our expertise right here.
Snorkel the Pure Aquarium
One of many distinctive swimming spots within the South West, the Aquarium is a naturally fashioned sheltered lagoon with crystal clear calm water.
Deliver your snorkel and discover the aquatic delights of the lagoon.
This spot may be very busy in summer season and over faculty holidays, so come early if you’re visiting throughout this time. A brief hike is required to achieve the lagoon. For extra info on parking and the hike, go to my devoted information.
There aren’t any services right here, so come ready and please preserve this lovely spot by taking all of your garbage residence with you!
Go Chasing Waterfalls
Tucked away alongside the Cape to Cape monitor, this over 10-metre excessive waterfall is a spectacular sight after rainfall.
Reaching the falls entails a picturesque coastal hike, which you’ll be able to learn all about in my information right here.
Relaxed Eating at Meelup Farmhouse
Meelup Farmhouse is a restaurant positioned inside an enthralling pastime farm.
Positioned close to Meelup Seaside, this venue has quick turn out to be a preferred spot due to its relaxed Australian eating and beautiful furry workforce members, like Lizzie the highland cow. You’ll additionally discover chickens operating round within the hen coop and a llama close to the automotive park.
You’ll want to order a desk upfront as it is a common spot due to its relaxed Australian eating expertise and aesthetic farmhouse vibes.
Culinary Adventures: Degustation Eating
Embark on a gastronomic journey as you delve into the positive eating degustation experiences out there in Margaret River.
Voyager Property is the stand-out choice for a memorable expertise.
Take pleasure in a 90-minute winery, vineyard and underground cellar tour of Voyager Property with a wine tasting. Then select both a 4-course Discovery menu, or improve to their sensational seven-course Discovery degustation, every course paired to their distinctive wines. Test costs and availability right here.
For these wanting a extra informal choice, the 5 course Mediterranean impressed degustation at Rustico Hay Shed Hill is nice worth. Different degustation experiences can be found at Will’s Area and Vasse Felix.
Watch an Outside Film Beneath the Stars
One of the crucial memorable sights in Margaret River is watching an out of doors film on a heat summers evening.
Fashionable venues embrace the Cape Mentelle, which transforms into an out of doors cinema from December to February, and the historic Caves Home Lodge in Yallingup providing a BYO seating association.
Are you visiting Margaret River throughout wildflower season? Discover out the place to see wildflowers in Margaret River in wildflower information right here.
Refresh at Injidup Pure Spa
A go to to Margaret River could be incomplete with out a dip within the invigorating waters of the Injidup Pure Spa. This pristine pure rock pool, frequently replenished by waves cascading over the encircling rocks, gives a novel “spa” expertise for swimmers.
Learn these important ideas for guests earlier than you go.
Stroll Throughout Canal Rocks
Canal Rocks is one other distinctive out of doors attraction within the Margaret River area.
The forces of nature have created a canal amidst the rock formations. You possibly can stroll between them on the timer walkway spanning throughout the ocean.
Gastronomic Delights: Cheese & Chocolate Tasting
Is it a coincidence that the Margaret River Chocolate Firm is across the nook from the Margaret River Dairy Firm… I believe not!
Take it as an indication to take pleasure in each a cheese and chocolate tasting whereas within the space. In case your candy tooth calls, the Margaret River Nougat Firm can also be across the nook…
Gabriel Chocolate, positioned on the identical property as Home of Playing cards wines, is one other chocolatier within the space providing indulgent treats.
Discover the Coastal Gems in Yallingup
When exploring the very best issues to do in Margaret River, a day trip within the picturesque city of Yallingup ought to be in your listing. Located close to Dunsborough, this small coastal neighborhood is famend for its family-friendly seashore with a sheltered lagoon.
Kids will delight within the giant nature playground and spacious grassed areas on the prime of the seashore.
Should you work up an urge for food, pop into Lagoon Yallingup. Begin your day with their morning espresso choices earlier than diving into a contemporary, contemporary Australian menu wealthy in native seafood for lunch or dinner.
Additional enhancing Yallingup’s allure is the Caves Home Lodge, a Margaret River icon providing stay music on chosen nights, offering the right backdrop for vibrant evenings all yr spherical.
Deal with Your self on the Margaret River Bakery
The Margaret River bakery has turn out to be a must-do for guests and locals on the town alike.
Positioned on the principle highway heading into the centre of Margaret River city, this small European impressed bakery serves up an enormous vary of scrumptious bakery treats in addition to contemporary cooked breakfasts.
The eclectic décor simply provides to the vibe right here. They’re open Monday to Saturday from 7am.
Whale Watching Expertise
The Margaret River area sees as estimated 35,000 plus whales migrate by means of its waters between June – November every year.
Head to Level Picquet for certainly one of Margaret River’s finest whale watching spots in September. Right here will catch a glimpse of humpback whales and very often, their infants, near shore.
The lighthouses within the area additionally make for nice whale watching lookouts, or for probably the most memorable expertise, ebook onto a whale watching cruise to see the whales up shut.
Attend a Seasonal Occasion or Competition
The Margaret River Area has no scarcity of occasions and festivals celebrating the famend meals, wine and artwork produced within the area.
- Margaret River Professional (April): Margaret River yearly hosts this world class browsing occasion, drawing guests from throughout the nation to witness the World Browsing League professional’s compete. Be part of the crowds on the seashore to observe browsing legends do their factor within the fabled waves of Margaret River.
- Cabin Fever (July): When it begins getting wintery and chilly, what higher manner than warming up with scrumptious consolation meals, nice wine and perhaps a hearth or two? The annual Cabin Fever Competition provides you a motive to courageous the nippiness and absorb one of many curated meals and wine occasions held over a 2-week interval in a few of the South West’s finest eating places, wineries and producers.
- Margaret River Open Studios (September): Get able to be creatively impressed! In it’s tenth yr, the annual Open Studios occasion sees artists throughout the area open their doorways to the neighborhood for an inside look into the inventive course of. Observe the path of indicators resulting in the 150+ artist studios that open day by day to guests, or take a look at this system of workshops and particular occasions.
- CinefestOz (September): The CinefestOz pageant brings crimson carpet occasions, gala nights, quick movies, neighborhood occasions and extra to the area in September. Over 5 days there are a number of movie experiences at cinemas, wineries, small bars and galleries.
- High quality Vines Competition (October): The fantastic workforce that convey you Cabin Fever gear as much as have a good time Spring with one other meals and wine oriented 10 day pageant in October. Attend one of many many ticketed occasions, or pop into wineries that aren’t often open to the general public for a tasting and chat to the winemakers.
Stroll the Coronary heart of Margaret River
The primary avenue of Margaret River city is an enthralling strip of boutiques, cafe’s, eating places and native outlets.
Hit the pavement on Bussell Freeway and take within the bustling hub that’s the major strip of city.
Take a look at the Fudge Manufacturing facility, seize a espresso at Sidekick Cafe, browse the Margaret River Artisan Retailer and pop into the Guests Centre for some memento purchasing.
Meet the Hamelin Bay Stingrays
A worthwhile detour whereas in Margaret River is a go to to Hamelin Bay to satisfy the native marine residents.
Hordes of manta rays are identified to frequent the shallow shores of Hamelin Bay Seaside. Your finest probability of seeing them is on a peaceful day as they glide by.
Whereas they might seem pleasant, native authorities ask guests to not contact these wild creatures – sadly on each of my visits I’ve seen this recommendation ignored.
Redgate Seaside is certainly one of my private favourites within the Margaret River Area.
The seashore is scattered with a rocky outcrop that creates pure swimming holes and hides small rock swimming pools to discover. Plus, the water color readability right here is subsequent degree.
This lovely seashore is near Mammoth Cave and a few pretty small boutique wineries, like Redgate Wines and Mr Barval High quality Wines.
Wander Via Boranup Forest
A go to to the Boranup Forest is nothing wanting magical as you wander amidst big karri bushes. seemingly touching the sky at 60 meters tall.
The dappled daylight streams by means of the towering bushes, providing moments of tranquil reflection.
The best spot to discover is from the Boranup Forest View Level parking space.
From right here, take a stroll by means of the forest on the opposite aspect of the highway. Guests also can take the scenic gravel highway by means of the center of the forest (appropriate for 2WDs) on Boranup Dr which runs parallel to Caves Highway.
Take a Scenic Coastal Hike
The Margaret River Area is famend for its gorgeous coastal hikes.
Probably the most well-known of them is the enduring Cape to Cape monitor, spanning 130 kilometres from Cape Cape Leeuwin to Cape Augusta. I accomplished this hike over 7 days in 2022, which you’ll be able to learn all about right here.
Whereas many select to finish your complete monitor, you possibly can deal with small sections of it for a style of the vivid coastal surroundings. My suggestions are;
- Cape Naturaliste to Sugarloaf Rock: This 3.5 kilometre (a method) part of the Cape to Cape is accessible due to the picket boardwalk and sealed pathway alongside the monitor. It is a nice space for whale recognizing round September.
- Torpedo Path Yallingup: A brief however scenic 3km loop ranging from the Yallingup Seaside automotive park.
- Contos Seaside to Bob’s Hole: Fairly presumably probably the most scenic part of the Cape to Cape, stroll alongside the Conto cliffs alongside the coast to a small cave at Bob’s Hole (7km return approx).
There are additionally extra trails alongside the shoreline from Cape Leeuwin to Dunsborough, together with the Meelup path talked about above that passes Meelup Seaside and Fort Rock.
Marvel at a West Coast Sundown
Unwind on the finish of a fruitful day of exploring by witnessing Western Australia’s famend sunsets within the coronary heart of the Margaret River area.
Seize a picnic rug or blanket and head to one of many many splendid sundown spots out there. Just a few already talked about on this article embrace Sugarloaf Rock and Yallingup Seaside.
For these nearer to Margaret River city, Surfers Level in Prevelly is the native favorite, boasting a big grassy knoll ideally suited for a laid-back sundown viewing spot.
Go to a Birds of Prey Sanctuary
It wasn’t till a latest go to that I found that Margaret River is residence to certainly one of Australia’s largest fowl of prey sanctuaries at Eagles Heritage.
Devoted to the care and rehabilitation of injured and orphaned birds, this distinctive wildlife centre is ready amongst the pure bushland in Margaret River.
There are twice day by day Birds of Prey Encounters at 11am and 1.30pm (on-line bookings are advisable). Throughout your go to, take a self-guided stroll to identify a few of the eagles, hawks, falcons and owls that decision the sanctuary residence.
Discover Underground on the Margaret River Caves
Beneath the picturesque landscapes of Margaret River lies a hidden world of limestone caves. With over 100 spectacular formations, they make for a novel attraction in Margaret River and a memorable go to.
There are 4 caves open to the general public; tickets are required. Every of those 4 caves have their very own distinctive facets.
- Ngilgi Cave: this cave gives semi-guided excursions main you thru its distinct facets, together with awe-inspiring stalactites hanging overhead and secret nooks to crawl by means of and discover.
- Mammoth Cave: immerse your self in a self-guided tour showcasing the cave’s huge chambers when you study its wealthy historical past by means of an informative audio information.
- Lake Cave: this cave has a everlasting underground lake with a particular stalactite and stalagmite formation becoming a member of to satisfy within the center. Guided excursions are supplied to entry this outstanding attraction.
- Jewel Cave: Located close to Augusta, be a part of the guided tour of three giant caverns displaying mesmerizing flowstone resembling frozen waterfalls.
It’s exhausting to select a favorite, but when I had to decide on only one to go to, Lake Cave could be my advice.
Right here’s a quick video from our final go to at Lake Cave
Admire the Margaret River Rivermouth
The river that has supplied the identify sake for the city. Head to the small seaside city of Prevelly to observe the place the river meets the ocean on the Margaret River Rivermouth.
In summer season, it is a common swimming spot and watersports are often out there for rent.
Go to Margaret River’s Lighthouses
A preferred attraction in Margaret River is visiting one of many lighthouses within the area.
Cape Naturaliste lighthouse is positioned close to Dunsborough. Additional south close to Augusta you’ll discover Cape Leeuwin lighthouse, Australia’s tallest mainland lighthouse.
Each lighthouses are operational to at the present time, and supply guided excursions to find out about their significance within the historical past of the area.
In any other case, for a small charge you possibly can stroll across the complicated on a self-guided exploration.
Be taught to Surf
Margaret River is thought for its legendary surf, and internet hosting the annual Margaret River Professional browsing occasion. Should you’ve ever been curious to attempt your hand at browsing, now is perhaps the time.
Be taught the idea throughout a 2-hour group browsing lesson from an knowledgeable teacher at certainly one of Margaret River’s finest surf spots.
Able to hit the waves? Test costs and availability now.
Navigate a Big Hedge Maze
Get misplaced (for enjoyable) at A Maze’n Margaret River. This big hedge maze is a spectacular sight at over half a hectare in dimension. The property additionally has a restaurant, mini golf, out of doors video games and an immaculate backyard to discover. It’s an amazing exercise for the entire household.
There’s additionally a timber maze at Yallingup Maze, in addition to a mini golf course and nature play areas.
Craft Beer Breweries
Should you’re a craft beer fanatic or just take pleasure in a relaxing brew, a go to to one of many many breweries within the Margaret River area ought to prime your listing. The world has an abundance of breweries, every with distinctive brew choices and fulfilling areas.
Right here’s a rundown of a few of my private favourites:
- Wild Hop Brewing Co: this chilled spot in Yallingup has turn out to be a quick favorite due to its nice vary of brews and scrumptious meals
- Eagle Bay Brewing Co: One of many first breweries within the area, Eagle Bay is such an amazing spot for the entire household. There’s a big grassed space and slightly veggie backyard too.
- Margaret River Brewhouse: A terrific choice on the outskirts of Margaret River city. There’s often stay music on weekends.
- Beerfarm: A cool venue positioned in an outdated dairy shed with an superior vary of beers.
Different breweries within the area embrace Cheeky Monkey , Black Brewing Co and Colonial Brewing Co.
Shelter Brewing in Busselton is one other private favorite, with scrumptious meals, a improbable vary of contemporary beers and views of the Busselton Jetty from its waterfront location.
Saturday Mornings on the Farmers Market
A practice for a lot of guests (and a Margaret River should see) is a visit to the native farmers market. Held each Saturday morning, the markets convey contemporary seasonal meals straight from farms to shoppers.
You’ll discover a vary of market stalls, from contemporary fruit and greens to domestically made arts and crafts. The Farmers Market is a vital a part of the area people, and is a worthwhile expertise to all weekend guests to the area.
Paddle your Manner Alongside the Margaret River
Expertise a extra adventurous aspect of Margaret River, with this extremely rated half-day canoe tour on the river. You’ll study above native wildlife and native historical past out of your information whereas paddling upstream.
This tour features a connoisseur lunch which incorporates wild meals and bush tucker impressed meals to energise you earlier than paddling downstream.
One other choice to expertise a unique aspect of Margaret River is that this Margaret River Wine Journey Tour, which incorporates gives the right mix of journey and indulgence.
Start your journey with a shorter paddle alongside the river earlier than having fun with a non-public lunch at one of many vineyard estates. The journey continues after lunch with a 4WD to the Wilyabrup Sea Cliffs and a brief hike alongside the Cape to Cape earlier than wrapping up the day with a waterfall go to.
With over 1,400 5-star critiques, this shall be an journey to recollect! Test costs and availability right here.
Go to Charming Cowaramup
A brief drive quarter-hour north of Margaret River takes you to the charming city of Cowaramup. It’s exhausting to overlook it, due to the variety of life-sized fibreglass cows scattered across the city.
Pop into one of many native boutiques; looking domestically made wares at Mukau Giftware & Gallery or fulfill your candy tooth on the Sweet Cow.
A brand new addition to city is the West Winds Distillery and Tavern, serving up hearty meals and certainly one of Australia’s finest gins.
A brief drive from the principle avenue of city you’ll discover the tasty Millers Ice Creamery store with, you guessed it – extra fibre-glassed cows!
Coastal Mornings in Gnarabup
Kickstart your day on the idyllic coastal city of Gnarabup, a haven for espresso lovers and nature lovers alike.
Mere footsteps from the ocean, the White Elephant Cafe is the hub of this space, with a vibrant native clientele. Take pleasure in a leisurely stroll with a contemporary brew in hand, or tuck into in a scrumptious brunch as you watch the locals take morning dips within the calm bay.
Gin Tasting & Spirit Sampling
Lately there have been plenty of distillery additions to the burgeoning Margaret River wine scene.
Gin lovers are spoilt for alternative with the next distilleries within the area:
- Margaret River Distilling Co (Ginversity): On the outskirts of Margaret River city you’ll discover Ginversity nestled on the sting of the forest. Attempt a seated gin tasting, or enquire a couple of gin masterclass. Native botanicals function in all of the gins right here, giving them a particular, native twist.
- The Grove Distillery: Drop in for a tasting and check out the small-batch spirits, together with vodka, whisky, rum, bourbon and naturally, gin. This one tends to get bigger group excursions visiting on weekends, so maintain this in thoughts in case you’re planning to go to.
- West Winds: this new purpose-built distillery within the coronary heart of Cowaramup is the place to attempt West Wind’s vary of distinctive gins, vodkas and whiskies. Plus the tavern serves cocktails, native beers and wines alongside tasty meals.
- Dune Distilling: Tucked away within the Black Brewery Co property, Dune Distilling Co is impressed by the Western Australian shoreline. They’ve their signature gin, plus some fascinating seasonal restricted version specials, like pink gin.
- Sensible Distillery: Sensible Vineyard in picturesque Eagle Bay has a small distillery that makes use of their very own grapes for his or her spirit base. Admire the customized constructed column stills while having a tasting of the hand bottled premium spirits of this small run distillery.
Olive Oil Tasting
Thus far we’ve explored chocolate, cheese, wine and gin tasting… the final one for this listing is natural olive oil tasting at Ollio Bello.
It’s a enjoyable go to to the tasting room and farm store at Olio Bello, the place you possibly can savour their vary of natural additional virgin olive oils and different produce. There are a selection of fascinating flavours and tastes for all cuisines, starting from citrus to chilli concoctions.
They’ve a country Mediterranean model café serving meals, espresso and residential baked goodies day by day.
The place to Keep in Margaret River
Throughout the Margaret River Area, you possibly can select to remain within the coastal space of Dunsborough & Yallingup, or close to the forest in Margaret River City.
Right here’s my prime picks for lodging within the space.
Margaret River & Surrounds
- Price range – Margaret River Motel
Comfy rooms with personal en-suites in a backyard quiet setting
- Mid-Vary – Riverglen Chalets
Chalets nestled in the course of the forest, however nonetheless solely a ten minute stroll from Margaret River city.
- Luxurious – Burnside Natural Farm
Luxuriously appointment self-contained bungalows with personal patios, fire and bathtub set amongst a 15 hectare farm
- Finest for Households – Margaret River Hideaway & Farmstay
Good for households, Margaret River Hideaway gives a youngsters’s playground and interactive animal feeding classes on an unlimited 58-acre property, with homey lodging simply minutes from the guts of Margaret River township.
- Finest for Teams – The Villa Margaret River
I’ve stayed at this lovely light-filled 3 bed room villa, positioned in the course of city and strolling distance to the very best Margaret River cafes.
Dunsborough & Yallingup
- Price range – Lanterns Retreats
Quaint lodging within the coronary heart of Dunsborough, and a 10-minute stroll away from the seashore
- Mid-Vary – Yallingup Forest Resort
Yallingup Forest Resort gives company a spread of facilities together with a pool, tennis courtroom, and day spa, with the comfort of full kitchen services in every chalet and quick access to native wineries and eating choices in Dunsborough
- Luxurious – Empire Spa Retreat
Empire Spa Retreat gives a rejuvenating stick with luxurious suites, an on-site day spa, and a sauna all only a quick drive from the seashore
- Finest for Households – Canal Rocks Beachfront Flats
Take pleasure in self-catering lodging with sea views, facilities similar to totally geared up kitchens only a quick drive to lots of Yallingup’s major sights
- Boutique – Barn Hives Yallingup
Cute eco pods positioned in the course of a winery! Solely a 5 minute drive from Canal Rocks.
You’re now geared up with the final word Margaret River bucket listing – a mix of the area’s prime attraction and distinctive gems. There isn’t a scarcity of spectacular locations to go to in Margaret River – your greatest problem shall be seeing all of them!